On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
- Authorized Activities:
- Waterfowl hunting: geese, ducks, coot & moorhen
Upland game bird hunting: snipe
- CDFW symbols: the CDFW webpage only reflects the following activities:
- City: N. of Susanville
- County: Lassen County
- Habitat: meadows with tule, wetlands, shallow marshes, streams and channels
- Location: see our Google map
- Phone: (530) 254-6644
- Recreational Use: Type B
- Region: 1. Northern
- Size:2,722 acres
- Waterfowl Zone: Northeastern WF Zone
- Website: Willow Creek WLA
B. All Hunting
- Camping & trailers: NOT allowed
- Check station: see out Google map
- Check-in: at the Meadow Canal check-in booth
- Closures: see “Juniors” below
- Hunt days: Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays
- Hunt maps:
- Hunter capacity: unlimited except opening weekend, which varies w/water supply (see “Reservations” below)
- Juniors: area is closed for 2014-2015 preseason hunt
- Passes: a Type A or Type B season pass is required and must be pre-purchased the CDFW (link to purchasing info). Warning shot!!! NOT sold at the check station.
- Permits: issued on a first-come, first-served basis except opening weekend (see “Reservations” below)
- Reservations: required and available ONLY for opening weekend of duck season
- Applications: Each “rezzy” is good for both Sat. and Sun., but to qualify applications must specify the Sat. hunt day. Purchase at least 17 days in advance from a CDFW License Sales Office or Agent (link to purchasing info). Warning shots!!! NOT sold at the check station.
- Availability: approx. ___ “rezzies”
- Party size: six (6) people, including no more than two adults, each of which may be accompanied by a combination of two juniors or non-shooters (per Rob at the telephone number above)
- Permits: issued to reservation holders in numerical order
- Processing: begins at the ___, ___ hours before shoot time, and continues until ___ hour before shoot time, at which time reservations expire ___
There are no Area-specific regulations.
(18) Willow Creek Wildlife Area
Type B Area 2,722 acres
Location and Access: From the town of Susanville proceed sixteen miles north on State Route 139 to the parking lot and check-in booth at the Meadow Canal. Reservations: Required for opening weekend of duck season. Each reservation will be good for both days of opening weekend but applications must specify the Saturday shoot day in order to be considered. All hunting is first-come, first-served for the remainder of the season. Successful applicants must obtain a Type A or Type B season entry pass. These passes are not available at the Wildlife Area. Daily Hunter Capacity: Number will vary with the amount of available water for opening weekend. No quota thereafter. For information call (530) 254-6644.
(A) Hunt Days: Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays during open seasons for authorized species.
(B) Authorized Species: Waterfowl, snipe, coots, and moorhens.
(C) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed.