On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
- Waterfowl hunting: geese, ducks, coot & moorhen
- Warning shot!!! All other plants & animals are protected
[Ref. § 551(t)(25)]
- City: Moss Landing (1 and 1/4 mi. north)
- County: Monterey
- Habitat: salt ponds and marshes
- Location: see our Google map
- Phone: (831) 649-2870
- Recreational use: Type C
- Region 4: map
- Size: 728 – 783 acres (regs v. CDFW webpage)
- Waterfowl Zone: Balance of State WF Zone
- Website: Moss Landing WLA
B. Waterfowl Season:
- Access: only by foot on trails
- Camping & trailers: NOT allowed
- Closures: NO hunting—
- New Years Day
- Salt Ponds
[Ref. § 551(o)(38)]
- Dogs: ONLY hunting dogs are allowed–NO pets
- Fires: NOT allowed
- Hunt area: right
- Hunt days: Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays and ONLY during waterfowl season [Ref. § 551(x)(9)]
- Hunter capacity: NO limit
- Weapons: NO rifles or pistols may be possessed Warning shot!!! The CDFW webpage has no “shotgun” symbol. [Ref. § 551(r)(35)]
(65) Moss Landing Wildlife Area
Type C Area 783 acres
Location and Access: Access by boat only. Located adjacent to the north bank of Elkhorn Slough, approximately 1-1/4 miles north of the town of Moss Landing on Highway 1. Daily Hunter Capacity: No limit. For information call (831) 649-2870.
(A) Method of Take Restrictions: No rifles or pistols may be used or possessed.
(B) Hunt Days: Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays during open seasons for authorized species. Campfires are prohibited.
(C) Authorized Species: Waterfowl, coots, and moorhens.
(D) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed.
(E) Special Restrictions: Closed to all hunting on New Years Day. The Salt Ponds are closed to hunting.