On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
- Authorized Activities:
- Waterfowl hunting: geese, ducks & coot
- Upland game bird hunting: snipe
[ref. § 551(t)(13)]
- CDFW symbols: Area webpage only reflects the following activities:
City: just W. of Arcata City limits
- County: Humboldt County
- Habitat: tidal sloughs and land that is periodically flooded with heavy rain.
- Location: see our Google map
- Phone: (707) 445-6493
- Recreational use: Type C
- Region: 1. Northern
- Size: 547 – 587 acres (CDFW webpage v. booklet)
- Special Management Areas: North Coast SMA and and Northern Brant SMA
- Waterfowl Zone: Balance of State WF Zone
- Website: Mad River Slough WLA
B. All Hunting
- Camping & trailers: NOT allowed
- Closures: NO public access from the Mon. following youth hunting days until Apr. 1; see Sec. 502(e)(1)(B)(5) days [ref. § 551(0)(35)]
- Dog hunting: allowed (see our summary of dog hunting/training restrictions) [ref. § 551(0)(35)]
- Hunt days: DAILY
- Hunter capacity: NO limit
- Weapons: NO rifles or pistols may be possessed [ref. § 551(r)(32)]
C. Waterfowl Season
- Late Season: NO hunting for Small Canada Geese:; see Sec. 502(d)(5)(D)1
D. Snipe Season
- Hunt days: DAILY
(12) Mad River Slough Wildlife Area
Type C Area 547 acres
Location and Access: About 1/2 mile west of Arcata, off Samoa Blvd. Daily Hunter Capacity: No limit. For information call (707) 445-6493. Pursuant to Section 502(D) (5)(D) 1 (see page 10) hunting for Small Canada geese during the Late Season is not permitted on this area.
(A) Method of Take Restrictions: No rifles or pistols may be used or possessed.
(B) Hunt Days: Daily during open seasons for authorized species.
(C) Authorized Species: Water fowl, coot, and snipe.
(D) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed.
(E) Special Restrictions: Dogs are allowed only for hunting during open season for authorized species. Closed to all public use from the Monday following youth hunting days (Subsection 502(E) (1)(B) (5)) until April 1.
- 14 CCR 502(e) Youth Waterfowl Hunting Days Regulations (NOTE: To participate in these Youth Waterfowl Hunts, federal regulations require that hunters must be 15 years of age or younger and must be accompanied by a non-hunting adult 18 years of age or older.)
(1) Statewide Provisions
(A) Species Ducks (including Mergansers), American Coot, Common Moorhen, Black Brant, Geese
- Northern California Zone: The Saturday fourteen days before the opening of waterfowl season extending for 2 days
- Southern San Joaquin Valley Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
- Southern California Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
- Colorado River Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
- Balance of State Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
(C) Daily Bag Limit
Same as regular season.