There are at least four sources of rules and regulations applicable to the tidal areas of the Don Edwards S.F. Bay NWR:
- Refuge regulations
- State regulations
- Unit-specific regulations
- Rules posted online or at the refuge or unit
On this page, you’ll find (a) an alphabetical summary of unit-specific regulations and rules posted online; (b) maps of hunt areas and launch ramps; (c) text of or links to unit-specific rules and regulations gathered from multiple resources; and (d) other useful info and links. Warning shots!!! Refuge and State rules are in effect.
A. Waterfowl Hunting Info
- Access: ONLY by boat
- Boats: hunt ONLY from boat
- Boating laws: be aware of all State and federal laws
- Launch ramps: see “Boat launches” on our Google map for locations and directions
- Levees: Hunters cannot access any pond levees from tidal waters (except for Mowry Ponds).
- Registration: motor-driven vessels must be registered with DMV or documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (the same is true for sail-powered vessels in excess of 8 feet in length)
- SF Bay access: Launching of boats and access to the SF Bay or sloughs from Refuge property is NOT allowed
- Closed areas: the following areas are CLOSED to hunting and shooting
- Newark Slough: from its source to the Hetch-Hetchy Aqueduct, a distance of 3 miles
- Dumbarton Point Marsh: to the Hetch-Hetchy Aqueduct (west side of Newark Slough)
- Mallard Slough headwaters: in the vicinity of the Environmental Education Center
- Tidal marsh areas: NOT allowed in them or outside the toe (bottom) of the levee
- Warning shot!!! Other areas may be posted in the field.
- Warning shot!!! See our Google map for locations and directions
- Hunt areas:
- Tidal areas: salt marshes, sloughs, mudflats, and open water of San Francisco Bay that are NOT closed (see “Closed areas” above)
- Boats: hunting is ONLY from a boat
- Boundaries: hunting is ONLY up to mean high water line
- Other tidal areas: Alviso Pond A19, as well as the Bair and Greco Islands
- Hunt days: daily
Hunt map: right
- Permits: NOT required
- Regulations: subject to State regulations (see below)
- 50 CFR 32.24
Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge
A. Migratory Game Bird Hunting. We allow hunting of goose, duck, and coot on designated areas of the refuge in accordance with State regulations subject to the following conditions:
Unless posted in the field and/or noted below, we allow hunting by boat in all refuge tidal areas up to the mean high-water line. We close the following tidal areas to hunting and/or shooting:
i. Newark Slough to hunting and shooting from its source to Hetch-Hetchy Aqueduct, a distance of 31⁄2 miles (5.6 km);
ii. Dumbarton Point Marsh to the Hetch-Hetchy Aqueduct (west side of Newark Slough); and
iii. The headwaters of Mallard Slough (Artesian Slough) in the vicinity of the Environmental Education Center to hunting, as designated by posted signs.
Tidal areas include salt marshes, sloughs, mudflats, and open water of San Francisco Bay. Unless posted in the field and/or noted below, all tidal areas in the refuge are open seven days a week to hunting from a boat, and only up to the mean high water line.
The following tidal areas are CLOSED to hunting:
- Newark Slough is closed to hunting and shooting from its source to the Hetch-Hetchy Aqueduct, a distance of 3 miles.
- Dumbarton Point Marsh to the Hetch-Hetchy Aqueduct (west side of Newark Slough) is closed to hunting and shooting.
- The headwaters of Mallard Slough, in the vicinity of the Environmental Education Center, are closed to hunting.
- Refuge Regulations (Available on the Permit)
Download from the Refuge’s Waterfowl Hunting Information webpage
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife